Your first appointment
First appointments with Young Minds Matter are usually around 90 minutes.
Any other appointments will depend on the person you see, and the type of support you need
What sort of things will you ask me at my first appointment?
Remember, this first appointment is a chance to meet Young Minds Matter practitioner and for you to ask us questions about what we do and how we can help.
Some of the things we ask you might include:
- Who you live with, and how things are in your family
- What life was like when you were younger
- What school is like for you
- How you would describe some of your difficulties, and when you believe they started
- What you would like to change by coming to Young Minds Matter
- What activities or interests you have and enjoy
- Who are the supportive people in your life
We understand that speaking about your thoughts and feelings can feel really scary at first. We will try and help you as much as we can.
It is also important to let you know you will never be forced to share everything with us that you don’t want to.
In your first appointment, you will be asked to complete some forms or questionnaires. These can help you and the CAMHS practitioner make sense of what is going on, and find the best way to support you. When you start to feel better, we can look back at them to see how you are improving and the excellent progress you are making.
Will my family or carer come to my appointments?
It’s often really helpful for your family or carers to be involved in the process as they sometimes know you the best and can support your outside of appointments.
However, we also understand that there are some things you may not feel comfortable sharing with them, so we will always give you the opportunity to be seen alone.