Need help now?

Print Friendly and PDF

If you are feeling suicidal, it is important to talk to people about your feelings.

You can talk to:

  • To a family member, friend or colleague - sharing how you feel can bring huge relief
  • To a helpful advisor - by phoning in complete confidence and anonymity to a helpline such as the ones given below
  • To your doctor - may be able to help you or signpost you to the help you need
  • To your mental health care team - if you are already seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist or community psychiatric nurse

Helplines available when you want someone to talk to - click here.

Local help in a mental health crisis

If you are already using mental health services

If you already use our mental health services, or care for someone who does, during office hours your first point of contact should be the person that you/they usually see (a care coordinator, or named lead professional).

Their contact details, details of the care team are contained in your care plan. If you don't have these, you can contact our Single Point of Access Team to help you get in touch.

For out of hours support you will also have contact details for a local crisis team who can help support you. If you don't have these details, you can contact our Single Point of Access Team (details on the right).

If someone has recently been discharged from mental health services:

If you have been discharged from mental health services in the last 12 months you will have been given as part of your discharge plan what to do if you experience deterioration in your mental health again. This will explain who to contact.

If you have not used our services before:

If you, or a friend or relative are experiencing mental health problems for the first time and need emergency treatment or advice during office hours, then you should contact your general practitioner (GP). Your GP is your family doctor, the doctor you would normally see if you are ill or concerned about any aspect of your health. They will be able to refer you to the most appropriate mental health service in your area. If you need to contact someone out of hours, please ring NHS 111. 

If you don’t have a GP, use the NHS website to locate the nearest one to you.

You could also complete a self-referral form to access our talking therapies service here if you are over the age of 16 and feeling stressed, anxious, low in mood or depressed.

NHS 111

If you need help but don't think it's a 999 emergency, you can call NHS 111 free for advice.

You should call 111 if:

  • It's not a 999 emergency
  • You don't think you can wait for an appointment with your GP
  • You don't know who to call for medical help

Experiencing life threatening behaviour?

If the emergency you are experiencing has an immediate life threatening danger call 999.

If you need help fast but don't think it's a 999 emergency, you can now call NHS 111. Calls from landlines & mobile phones are free.

You should call 111 if:

  • it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you don’t think you can wait for an appointment with your GP
  • you don’t know who to call for medical help

LPFT Single Point of Access Contact Centre

If you are already accessing local mental health services and can't find the contact details for your local care team you can call the Trust's Single Point of Access.

Other useful websites

Link to useful websites and organisations who might be able to help

Hide this section
Show accessibility tools