Below are the top tips shared by Carers on how to deal with difficult behaviour of someone with Dementia:
- Look at your loved one's body language and image what they might be feeling or trying to express
- Ask yourself what happened before the difficult behaviour started? Did something trigger the behaviour?
- Are their needs being met? Is your loved one hungry, thirsty or in pain?
- Does changing the environment, such as playing their favourite music help to calm and give comfort to your loved one?
- How did you react to the problem behaviour? Did your reaction help to soothe your loved one or did it make the behaviour worse?
- Is it necessary to argue or is it better to accept your loved one's experiences and try and divert the conversation