Published on: 21st November 2022
Our Steps2Change teams, Mental Health Support teams and our Dieticians share their top tips for boosting your wellbeing this Winter.
Top tips for young people:
How to boost your mood this Xmas - Children and Young People
- Keep a journal - Include your feelings and worries. Write down what you've done and what's coming up.
- Get enough sleep - Try and go to sleep at the same time every night and get up at the same time each morning. Try to sleep for 7-8 hours per night.
- Learn something new - crafting, colouring, a language, baking, yoga, meditation or a sport
- Limit social media - try not to compare yourself wiht others. Everyone is different and has different experinces. No one is better than you!
- Get chatting - call a friend, a family memner or support support. There's always some there to help.
- Eat & Drink regularly - what you eat and drink can affect how you feel. Have you got enough vitamin D? Eat and drink regularly. 3-4 meals and 6-8 drinks per day.
- Be active for 30 mins a day - walk, run, skip or hop! Whatever works for you! Every minute counts!
- Give to others - this could be something simple like making a card, drawing a picture, baking a cake, donating old clothes. Why not volunteer?
Top tips for adults below:
Keep a Journal
Include your thoughts, feelings and concerns. Reflect on what you've achieved and what you've got coming up.
Learn something new
Try something new - crafting, a language, baking, meditation or a sport.
Visit www.2aspire.org.uk for some great ideas
Give to others
This could be something simple like making a card, drawing a picture, baking a cake, donating old clothes or toys, writing a poem or volunteering.
Boost your mood with food
What you eat and drink can affect your mood. Have you got enough vitamin D?
Eat and drink regularly. (3 - 4 meals and 6 - 8 drinks a day)
Visit www.oneyoulincolnshire.org.uk for help with food
Limit social media
Try not to compare yourself with others. Everyone is different and has different experiences.
How much alcohol are you drinking?
Have a think about how much and how often you are drinking. Is it over 14 units per week? If so, this may be affecting your sleep, your weight, your mood and your wallet!
Visit www.oneyoulincolnshire.org.uk to help you reduce your alcohol consumption
Aim for 30 mins of physical activity daily!
We benefit physically and mentally if we are active daily. So walk, run, skip, hop - whatever works for you! Every minute counts!
Visit www.oneyoulincolnshire.org.uk to help you get more active
Have a sleep routine
Try to go to sleep at a regular time each night and get up the same time each morning.
Go to bed when you feel tired. Aim for 7-8 hours per night.
Take time for yourself. How are you feeling?
What do you want to do?
For free online and in-person courses about mental health and wellbeing, visit www.lpft.nhs.uk/recovery-college
Don't let money worries get on top of you
The rising cost of living and energy prices can be a source of worry especially in winter months.
Visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/costofliving for advice and support.